The Schneider Hotel is a family-friendly, ski-in ski-out lodge-style hotel located steps away from the Kandahar and Utopia lifts and a short walk or slide down to the Hikage Gondola Station, the Kids Park and the Japan Ski Museum. Some places in Nozawa Onsen claim to be ski-in ski-out, but check the location as only a few accommodation are the real dea. We are located above the Hikage Gondola Station so guests ski down to the gondola or take a few steps out the front door to Utopia and Kandahar lifts (Utopia only operators on weekends and holidays) beating the crowds up the mountain. While we are on the mountain it is still possible to walk down to the village (over snow) in about 15 minutes and the free Taki-no-yu Hot Spring is a 10-minute walk away.
The lodge-style hotel has 30 rooms, 14 western rooms with en-suite bathroom and shower (5 are suites that also have a kitchenette), 12 Japanese tatami rooms with shared facilities and one "family room" that has a small kitchenette and shower and three bunk rooms.
We have a men’s and women’s Japanese-style bath (not real hot spring water), an onsite rental shop, restaurant and fireside après bar. Our private snow shuttle runs oversaw to/from The Craft Room near the Nagasaka Gondola each evening after the lifts close so guests can enjoy dinner or a soak in one of the free hot springs in the lower village. The hotel is great for families as the Kids Park and daycare facilities are close by at Hikage Station. The hotel is named after Johann "Hannes" Schneider, the famous Austrian ski instructor who promoted skiing throughout the world and pioneered modern skiing in Nozawa Onsen and Japan.
- Ski-in / ski-out location steps away from the Kandahar and Yutopia lifts and a short walk or slide to Hikage Gondola, the Kids Park and the Japan Ski Museum
- Guests-only Japanese-style bath (men’s and women’s, no swimsuits allowed in baths)
- Cozy fireside après bar at Base Camp Bar with views of the Kandahar & Utopia slopes. Enjoy Nozawa's best wings, pizzas and bar snacks.
- Enjoy slope-side dining at Schneider’s Restaurant. Great option if you are too tired to drag the kids into town or just want to kick back and enjoy dinner on the mountain.
- Tatami Lounge area (unattended) great place to relax with a book or some games with the family.
- On-site Ski and Snowboard Rentals at our own rental shop (open 7:00-10:00 / 15:00-18:00). If guests need help during the day they can get help from the local pros at Shirakaba Rentals at Hikage Station (same people who run our shop).
- Private Ski/Snowboard Lessons and Guiding. Kids and adults can ski right out the door.
- Schneider Snow shuttle runs each evening from 18:00 - 22:30 to/from The Craft Room near Nagasaka Gondola. Guests can then walk down to central village for dinner or drinks. *Note there may be instances out of our control (inclement weather or maintenance) when the shuttle is not running.
- Drying room and ski/snowboard storage area